June 15, 2009

Gran Torino


I remember back in the day when I was walking with my friends back from the movie theater. I really don't remember why but while we were walking in a predominately white area we ran into a couple of white people in a car. They all looked up at the same time and locked the doors at the same time.
It was a couple of friends of mine and just for the reference we were all black. For some reason, it happen so long ago, that's the only instance out of many the just stands out in my head. I really don't believe that racism is going anywhere soon. Although in Gran Torino it is a lesson learned at the end. Don't get me wrong racism goes both ways. There are a lot of black people out there that's holding the grudge against white people. I'm more of a God fearing man myself and believe that we're all one under God. That's the part hurts me the most, if your a christian then there's no way you can be raises. We are making great progress with are new black president. To this day it still get to me whenever I see any type of hatred in a movie.

This movie isn't any different than the ones that I've seen in the past.
Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) is an old bitter man who has a huge chip on his shoulder. If you look up the word "old school" his name and face will appear right next to it. He's a very proud man, proud of his lawn, life and neighborhood. It kind of goes off course when he notice that a foreign family moved next door.
With the Hmong family next door the neighborhood is gone. Ironically the kid next door is the kid life he saves. Just trying to keep Thao Vang Lor (Bee Vang) off his lawn ended up changing both of their lives. Thao is a young kid that's stuck between the good life or the gang life. While driving around the neighborhood he runs into Thao's sister Sue Lor (Ahney Her) who is a girl who can differently handle her own. In this particular seen she has her back against the wall with no where to go and here comes Walt. The drive home is what opens Walt whole life up.

This movie is diffidently a sleeper, meaning falling asleep. If you don't have the patience to watch a slow movie to wait for the climax, than this ones not for you. If you put yourself in the mood to watch a slow movie, you won't be disappointed. I'm kind of an "old school" man myself and it's some things in the movie I agree with. This is one of those manly man movies that the women wouldn't mine seeing. It's parts in the movie that explains the unwritten rules of being a man. This movie was an all around good movie that I'm proud to say. I know that it's kind of old now but if you spent your money at the theater then good. Soon it's gonna be on cable but before then at least good to the movie rental place and rent it, better yet buy it.




1 comment:

Thanks for reading!